Thursday 31 July 2014

Feeling Reflective - A Month On

About a  month ago I wrote this post. I was feeling overwhelmed and needed to clear my head. The harder I tried however, the more impossible it seemed. Trying to find the source of those feelings just made things worse.

As is so often the case in these situations, the answer was to take a step back.

I threw myself into work, faced up to some home truths and learnt two valuable lessons in the process.

The first, I'm no longer in a position to offer custom orders anymore. As much as I enjoy them, I simply can't do it without snatching time that should be dedicated to Dan and Pip.
While I don't mind working evenings and weekends to meet the occasional deadline, that can't be the norm.

And second, (strap yourselves in, this is a biggie), I lost my way with this blog.
There's a bullshit notion growing within the blogging community that there's a right way and a wrong way to blog
"Want to have a successful blog? Then make sure it looks like this, your photos are interior magazine quality and you only write about X, Y or Z. Oh and make sure you become savvy with Google Analytics so you can waste your time pulling confused faces while muttering 'what the hell does that mean'. Because who wants to enjoy their evenings anyway?"
I'm so angry that I fell for all this. This is a personal blog. It's for me, I started it years ago to waffle on to my heart's content about the things that make me happy. And occasionally to have a bit of a rant about the things that don't. Because I believe in balance and because life is not all funky retro prints and mason jars.
Now I'm not going to lie, I would love to think that people enjoy reading this and that I'm not just waffling to myself anymore, so of course I want to let everyone know about it. But it's still my blog. I still want to write for me.
So I guess what I'm saying is, I realised that I too had started to stray from my path while following the herd. I too was doing the very thing that makes my teeth grind with irritation. That was a bitter pill to swallow. But I'm back. To stay I hope.

I hope this didn't sound too negative or ranty. It was meant as neither. I was just feeling so crap a month ago that I really wanted to share the outcome of it all.  The 'coming out the other side' post if you like.

Over the next coming months you may notice some changes on this blog while I play around with the look of it. I liked the layout before, but if I'm honest, it was how I thought it should look as opposed to what I liked. So I'm going to play a little.
Also the things I write about may or may not change. It may become more mundane, or swing from one thing to another, I haven't decided yet. Again, I'm going to play.

Also, my grammar may be appalling and I may occasionally use terms such as 'amazeballs', 'awesome' and/or 'lolz'.

I offer no apologies for this.

Kim out.

2 comments:

  1. i don't see this as being negative or ranty at all! i thoroughly believe a person should do what's best for them, and what makes them happy (whenever they can) and having a place to share in whatever way feels right to them can be a great release, or even just fun if you don't turn it into a chore. i don't get why people get so swallowed up into 'the big world of blogging' but i do understand why some people want to turn it into something more.

    i love blogging because i love writing (though i may not be an accomplished writer, that's probably obvious) and because i love taking photos and sharing my work. it's encouraged and inspired me to be more creative and that's super important to me! i love that there are people reading and following my blog, but when it comes down to it, my main focus is expressing myself.

    you are the loveliest lady and i will happily keep reading no matter what :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Laura, that's such a nice thing to say, thank you so much! :D

      I just get so frustrated with the whole idea that there are rules now. Blogging has been around for years and yet all of a sudden we're being told not just how to do it, but how not to do it. And that really gets my goat.

      But maybe I just don't like being told what to do. ;)

      xxx

      Delete

Other posts you might be interested in..



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...