Every year I make myself a list of things to do before winter arrives, this was my list from last year. It's something of a ritual I suppose. Something that gets me in the right frame of mind for the colder and darker days.
This year however things are slightly different. A lot of the stuff on lists gone by have been simple house and garden maintenance jobs. There will be no conker collecting to deter spiders this year either. They work a treat, but I was still finding them under the sofa and behind the oven as recently as last month so spiders be damned. Instead, most of the list will be DIY jobs that we've been putting off for ages, but now need to get done before the baby arrives. So here goes my Winter List, 2011 style..
- Add fence to front of house
- Get crafting corner sorted
- Fix kitchen wall that I buggered up
- Get Dan to finish tidying tile grouting in the kitchen
- Paint hallway
- Move chickens off garden and create a more 'winter friendly' space for them.
- Prepare garden ready for the winter
- Make/buy a door curtain for front door
- Make a curtain for the bedroom
- Finish dress making course by Christmas
- Make a draft excluder for the living room
- Add winter stuff to car (de-icer, cover for windows, blanket etc)
- Put summer clothes in attic and bring down the winter gear
- Buy a maternity winter coat that a) does not cost a small fortune and b) does not resemble a kid's duffel coat
- Fix crochet blanket
- Make a snood
- Make Christmas presents, cards and decorations
See? It's a much smaller list this year and I've already made a start too! My summer clothes were packed away in to the attic and my winter clothes brought down at the start of September so I considered myself to have gotten off to a grand start.
Good job then that we're not experiencing some sort of mini heatwave that calls for flip flops and summer dresses.
Hang on a minute..