Sunday 16 October 2011

Lazing on a sunny afternoon...or not


Today was gorgeous wasn't it? Sunny and warm, but with a slight nip in the air just to remind you that it was autumn. I decided to make the most of the weather by doing something that would help me move closer to crossing off not just one, but two things from my Winter List.

  • Move chickens off garden and create a more 'winter friendly' space for them.
  • Prepare garden ready for winter.

I've moved the chickens to the side of the house where it's paved which will hopefully make them more comfortable during the winter months. There are still one or two things to do before I'll consider it a more "winter friendly" space though so I'm not quite done with this task yet.

The other thing I did was to remove the chicken run from the garden as it was in a hell of a state. The grass that you can see in the picture above has long gone. Now it's full of ruts and holes where the chickens have been digging. Also, the ground is so compressed that it no longer drains properly when it rains. This does not make for happy hens.

This is what it looked like first thing this morning..

And this is what it looked like before I came in this evening..

I can't tell you how good it felt to rip down all that netting! All we need to do now is level off the ground and aerate it so that it starts draining again. 

But that will be a job for another weekend because I'm pooped!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might be interested in..



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...