Saturday 19 October 2013

My body is a temple. A neglected one, covered in weeds


I've done it again. I've spread myself too thinly and come down with yet another throat infection. It says something when your toddler, who likes to spend her time licking other children's faces, has a better sickness record than you. Usually I just end up feeling tired and run down, but not enough to grind to a halt completely. Right now though I feel flat out sick. Yesterday was the worst, I ached all over. My hands, feet and oddly, scalp just hurt and I felt like crying. So I took my mopey, achy arse home and slept on the sofa.
The aches have gone today, but I woke up with a painful throat and once again berated myself for not having looked after myself a little more.

And therefore, also once again, I am vowing to take better care of myself and this time I bloody mean it. I've come up with a plan and I hope that by publishing it here, I'll be more inclined to stick to it.
Here we go..

Start running..or maybe yoga
I really do want to take up running, but urgh. It rains so much. Yoga however I can do anytime, indoors, in the dry and more importantly, with Pip. So yeah. One of those.

Eat more often
After giving it some thought I've realised that I usually skip at least one meal every day. WHAT?? I knew my diet wasn't great, but I was genuinely shocked when I realised that this week, there's not been one day that I've eaten properly. And I wonder why I have no energy?!

Put down the coffee
It's not big and it's not clever to run on fumes and caffeine alone. Plus lately I've noticed that I can drink coffee all day with no effect until 6pm then BOOM! Wide awake for the best part of the night. Good going Kim. You flaming genius.

Take time out once a week to just relax
Anyone remember the cider and bubble bath I promised myself the last time I spread myself too thinly? It took me a week to treat myself to the cider and I never found the time for that bath. Relaxation will be made more of a priority. No really.

Here's the thing though. I am utterly crap at looking after myself sometimes. And more often than not, relaxation gets pushed to the bottom of my list of priorities..who has the time right? Well we all do, if we make time for it and we should. It's just that we incorrectly believe that it's not as important as the rest of the things on our to do list.
What I want to know is what do YOU do to relax and unwind? Even if it's only for 10 minutes. Do you make time for yourself or like me, do you just tend to forget? Also do any of you run? How did you get into it? Any tips on that would be greatly appreciated.

These may seem like silly questions, but I really want to make these things a life habit, not just some flash in the pan idea that I'll forget about in a few weeks time so I'd be really interested to hear other people's thoughts.

In the meantime, I'm going to be sat over here with a mug of honey and lemon, trying to pretend it's as good as coffee.

6 comments:

  1. Kimmy, bless you...hope you feel better soon!
    I took up running in March of this year, set myself a goal to run the race for life 5k in June. I had never run before and started off with alternating one minute walk and one minute jog for 20 mins a couple of times a week and then just kept increasing the jog time, even if it was only by 30 seconds at a time. I ran the 5k in June in 28 mins and now run 5-10k once or twice each week. Even now I hate the thought of it and don't always actually enjoy doing it, but I love it the moment I finish and feel all smug. I feel better for it, have lost weight, toned up, have more energy and it is a great stress reliever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of the stress reliever part. Plus starting off alternating jogging for one minute and walking the next doesn't sound too daunting either. I might even try it tonight as I'm feeling a lot better this morning - thanks Steppy! xxx

      Delete
  2. It seems apt for me to comment when I'm sat here with a bunged up nose, having only just got over the sickness bug my lovely toddler shared with me...
    I know exactly what you mean about tending to forget about making time for you - I'm forever getting ready for bed and saying 'ohhhh, I was going to do my nails/have a bath/read that book/etc etc. So I can offer no pearls of wisdom on the relaxation side of things I'm afraid (but it's nice to know that other people are the same as me!)

    BUT, I can help with the running side! I started running in August, and absolutely love it. It's my proper clear-my-head time. Therapy for free. It's especially good on the days when my patience has worn out by lunchtime and my afternoon has been rather testing (I'm sure you understand - you too are the owner of a toddler!) - I stick some loud, shouty music on my phone and head out. By the time I'm home, a weight has lifted.

    I started using the RunKeeper app - you can set it to do a 5k training programme where you work your way up to it. I've heard good things about the Couch to 5k NHS podcasts too, although I'm not sure you can choose the music.

    I'd recommend looking to see if there's a Parkrun in your local area too - they're free 5k runs, every Saturday morning. I started doing them a few months ago and they're great. Not competitive - well, only against yourself to try and beat your PB! - but really friendly and nice to run in a big group of people.

    Sorry, this has turned into a massive essay! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No don't apologise, that was really helpful stuff, thank you! I've downloaded the app and will hopefully get out tonight to make a start. Even if it's just around the block. I figure something is better than nothing right? X

      Delete
  3. The apps mentioned above seem to have done wonders for people around me, we have the dutch versions obvs, but many people benefit from the supportive build-up. I, however, am too lazy to even download the app...But since I am also sick again I suggest we both start running, maybe on the same days. That way we can mentally kick each other in the butt if we bail:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've downloaded the Runkeeper app and weather permitting, plan on running/walking around the block tonight. Too soon for you? X

      Delete

Other posts you might be interested in..



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...