Wednesday 23 January 2013

The work, it never gets done

I am seriously struggling to get much done these days and it's starting to make me feel pretty antsy.


I never thought for an instant that working at home and looking after a child at the same time would be easy. In fact I knew it would mean learning to be flexible, patient and sometimes accepting that there will be days when nothing gets achieved. But I didn't think that there would be times where weeks and weeks would pass without anything being achieved at all.

Ever since Pip became mobile I've found it really difficult to do anything, but I'm only really feeling the effects now.
Much of November was a write off due to colds, then it was Christmas so I gave myself a wee holiday and we've spent the majority of this month with colds again. So in all that time that she's been mobile I kept thinking that once the illnesses and Christmas were over, I could just jump straight back into it.
How wrong was I?!

A mobile baby means this: grabby little hands pulling down my pedal leads, curious fingers poking at the printer, emptying out the bin, trying to climb the mannequin and none of these things lend themselves to productive sewing time.
I've put the travel cot which doubles as a play pen (or 'baby bin' as it's known in our house), in the corner, but you only get a few minutes of peace before she starts shouting to be let out again.


That's my problem, so here's my question. How to I get stuff done?
I've come up with the following ideas and like none of them.

1) Bring in the spare TV, stick her in the baby bin, put on the TV and hope it keeps her distracted for half an hour.
I'm liking this idea about as much as I like the thought of getting another cold.

2) Move all my stuff back downstairs and sew while she sleeps.
This isn't practical for two reasons, she only sleeps for half an hour a day and she'd spend the rest of the day doing all the stuff I listed above, i.e. it's pointless.

3) Wait until Dan comes home, throw Pip at him and get busy until it's time to start getting her ready for bed. This however, would only give me about half an hour and wouldn't give Dan any time to catch his breath after his day at work so not ideal either.

Whatever the answer is, I've got to find it soon. I have so much work to do by March and time is fast running out.
Story of my life!

Other posts you might be interested in..



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...